Change your flight
Change of plans? We allow same-day confirmed changes on select flights for a fee, with some exceptions.
Customers can stand by for a flight at no charge.
Your new flight must:
- Depart on the same day, from and to the same airports, as your original flight
- Have the same number of stops, in the same airports, as your original flight
- Be operated by American Airlines or American Eagle
Also, please keep in mind that:
- Anyone can standby for an earlier flight, but only AAdvantage® status members can standby for a later flight the same day
- Same-day confirmed changes and standby are subject to availability on select flights
Travel on partner airlines
If you bought a ticket with a partner airline for a flight operated by American, you can stand by or buy a same-day confirmed change. Use your American Airlines confirmation number to view your trip.
How to request a same-day change or standby
Starting 24 hours before departure, go to your trips online or in the app, or stop by an airport ticket counter to request a change and pay the fee, if applicable.*
After you check in, you’ll receive a new boarding pass and receipt.
*Customers traveling on a Basic Economy fare can't make changes at a kiosk and should find their trip on the American app, aa.com or visit a ticket counter to request a change.
Fees by market
|Market||Same day confirmed change||Standby|
|U.S., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands||Starting at $50||$0|
|Canada and the Caribbean||Starting at $50||Not offered|
|Between / through New York (JFK) and London Heathrow (LHR)||Starting at $50||Not offered|
Complimentary change / standby
|Passenger / ticket type||Confirmed change||Standby|
|AAdvantage Executive Platinum® and AAdvantage Platinum Pro® status (and companions in same reservation)||available||available|
|Unrestricted Economy (Y fare), Business, First, AirPass℠||available||available|
|First, Business Flight Awards||available||available|
|AAdvantage Platinum® and AAdvantage Gold® status (and up to 8 companions in same reservation)||Not available||available|
|oneworld® Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby status (and up to 8 companions in same reservation)||Not available||available|
|Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 100K, MVP Gold 75K||available||available|
|JetBlue TrueBlue Mosaic® members*||available||available|
|Active U.S. military personnel (on orders or personal travel) and active U.S. military dependents (on orders only)||Not available||available|
*Benefit will be granted to JetBlue TrueBlue Mosaic members who added their frequent flyer number to their ticketed reservation prior to July 21, 2023 for travel through January 31, 2024.
Fees are non-refundable unless we:
- Are unable to assign you a seat because the flight is full
- Cancel your new flight
- Delay your incoming flight or cause you to miss your connection
If you're eligible, you can request a refund online.
- On select routes operated and marketed by American or American Eagle, based on availability
- May be confirmed up to 24 hours before the new flight time
- Non-refundable and non-transferable
- No changes to depart / arrival airports, number of flight segments, connection cities or from a through flight to a connecting or nonstop flight
- Offer is made at our discretion and subject to change or termination at any time